Chief Operating Officer
UUX’s Operations Area is led by Mr. Penharrubia Fagundes, an expert on many digital-media-related fields, such as digital audio/video compression, multimedia management, content delivery optimization, and cryptography. A streaming media pioneer in Latin America, he runs, through its leading role in OTT Networks, a number of high-impact Internet projects, including Latin America’s largest audience audio and video destination Internet portals.
In 1999, Mr. Fagundes founded OTT Networks to become the leading provider of audio and video management tools for Internet distribution. Since them, Mr. Penharrubia Fagundes has a leading role in a number of relevant regional and international projects, including:
- (2000) Usina do Som, the largest online radio project in Latin America, by Grupo Abril (Brazil’s largest editorial group). Usina do Som has grown during the early 2000s to reach 3.5 M unique users by 2003, becoming the largest entertainment destination in Brazil and the third largest in Latin America by the time.
- (2006) Sonora, the largest online music service in Latin America, with more than 500 K subscribers in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Mexico, and Colombia. Sonora innovated, offering users easy tools to build playlists and share favorite songs on social networks and forums. With a large number of devices supported (including most types of smartphones and connected TV), Sonora has been selected by Fast Company as one of the top 5 most innovative companies in the music segment, worldwide.
- (2008 and 2012) Olympic Games Webcast for Latin America. Having Telefonica’s content arm as a client, Mr. Fagundes led the implementation and deployment of a massive audience infrastructure for the webcast of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and 2012 London Olympic Games. With exclusive rights for Latin America, Terra reached 62 M unique visitors and more than 100M video sessions during London’s Olympic Games, a regional online audience record. OTT Networks, under his leadership, was in charge of an operation spanning across 12 countries in Latin America, with more than 300 media servers connected to OTT Networks’ Media-iBox platform.
- (2012/2013) Telefonica’s GVP (Global Video Platform) project, a joint project between OTT Networks and Microsoft, provided Telefonica (a global telecom operator) a complete video platform, rolled out to multiple countries in Latin America and Europe. Telefonica’s GVP project is led by Mr. Fagundes, who has architected multiple teams within OTT Networks/UUX and external vendors and partners. The project is now launched in four countries (Spain, Brazil, Chile, and Argentina) and is scheduled to be launched in other markets in Europe and Latin America where Telefonica is present.
- (2014) Telenor’s MyTV project is launched, becoming the first joint client of newly combined operations of OTT Networks and Totalmovie (that, after merged, adopted UUX’s brand). Telenor’s MyTV becomes the leading over-the-top video service in Eastern Europe, with an offer of more than 12 live TV channels and thousands of on-demand movies and TV shows.
Mr. Fagundes holds a BS degree in mechatronics engineering from Brazil’s most prestigious engineering university (University of Sao Paulo, Escola Politécnica) and has been an active member of scientific competitions and awarded a silver medal at the 1994 International Mathematics Olympiad, in Hong Kong, among other academic prizes. He is fluent in Portuguese, English, Spanish, and Italian.